To avoid jobsite accidents with I-joists, follow these safety guidelines:
- Brace and nail each I-joist as it is installed, using hangers, blocking panels, rim board, and/or cross-bridging at joist ends. When I-joists are applied continuously over interior supports and a load-bearing wall is planned at that location, blocking will be required at the interior support.
- When the building is completed, the floor sheathing will provide lateral support for the top flanges of the I-joists. Until this sheathing is applied, temporary bracing, known as struts, or temporary sheathing must be applied to prevent I-joist rollover or buckling.
- For cantilevered I-joists, brace top and bottom flanges, and brace ends with closure panels, rim board, or cross-bridging.
- Install and nail permanent sheathing to each I-joist before placing loads on the floor system. Then, stack building materials over beams or walls only.
- Never install a damaged I-joist.