flexiblefullpage - default
interstitial1 - interstitial
Currently Reading

2018 Wage & Benefits Study: Dallas

billboard -

2018 Wage & Benefits Study: Dallas

We surveyed hundreds of design-build firms across nine of the country's most active remodeling markets, to finally answer the question: what is competitive pay? Salaries follow the career ladder in Dallas, although carpenters are paid about the same regardless of their experience.

October 5, 2018

Dallas is undergoing a historic population boom, which has increased housing prices and remodeling activity in the area. As a result, the labor crunch is felt especially sharply among remodelers, who are giving out more raises for production crews than in any other city we targeted, other than San Francisco. However, when it comes to benefits, Dallas still lags behind the pack. Average revenue for respondents was $1.8 million.

Dallas is the least expensive city of any of the markets we studied, and all four positions are tracking ahead of cost of living by varying degrees. However, expenses are rising quickly in Dallas as the area undergoes massive growth. In 2017, Dallas-Fort Worth saw the biggest population increase of any metro area in the United States.

*Insufficient data for statistical accuracy

Salaries follow the career ladder in Dallas, although carpenters are paid about the same regardless of their experience. Another anomaly is the slight drop for leads and production managers with more than 10 years’ experience. 

The message in mixed in Dallas. Carpenters and leads with job-related education do extraordinarily well, earning 31% and 28% more, respectively, than their non-credentialed counterparts. (Only carpenters in Minneapolis fare better.) However, credentialed project and production managers earn less than their counterparts. 

After an average increase of just 0.8% in 2016, Dallas wages shot up 3.9% overall in 2017 and are projected to increase an additional 4.7% in 2019. That would bring the total increase in Dallas to 10% since 2015, second only to San Francisco.

When it comes to benefits, Dallas falls behind the other markets. The metro area is seventh out of nine in offering paid time off, and last for 401(k) and medical insurance. Gas allowances and company vehicles are offered by a below-average number of remodelers as well.

Return to full results


Add new comment

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
leaderboard2 - default

Related Stories

Preparing for an Uncertain 2024

Here's how remodelers can prepare for unpredictable market

4 Steps to Prep Your Business for Contraction

How a remodeling company plans ahead for the worst of times (and the best of times)

Creating a Company Fire Drill: How to Prepare for the Worst

A disastrous fire could have been a lot worse if the business wasn’t prepared for the unexpected

The Fundamentals of Growing Profitably

On this episode of Women at WIRC podcast, Nip Tuck Remodeling Owner April Bettinger shares how she plans for her company's profitable growth

3 Things to Add to Your Construction Contract—From a Lawyer

Did you know you can add these three elements to your contracts?

Study Finds Remodelers’ Net Profits Declined

How far did net profits decline and what's influencing the drop?

The Home Depot Bets on Pros Amid Predictions of Flat Sales Growth

For the first time since 2019, The Home Depot’s revenue fell short of Wall Street’s predictions amid a general softening in the home improvement market

Indicators of a Softening Market and How to Prepare

Market conditions could be changing, but don't panic. Richardson shares ways to stay on top of market conditions and how to prepare for any potential softening down the road.

Estimating Three Ways

Three remodelers reveal how they estimate a project

Grow Your Business Through Collaboration with Remodeling Peers

Remodeling Mastery Forums offers a unique business opportuniy for remodelers

boombox2 -
halfpage2 -
native1 -

More in Category

native2 -
halfpage1 -
leaderboard1 -