Last month in this space, I reviewed a series of market projections for 2014 from Harvard University as well as the industry’s leading associations.
Pointers on selling safety items to homeowners.
When installing a gas fireplace, gas stove or gas heating system, a carbon monoxide sensor could be a remodeler’s most valuable recommendation to a client. Carbon monoxide sensors act similarly to smoke detectors, detecting dangerous levels of gas leaking into a house.
"If there’s any fuel-burning appliance or attached garage, there is a risk," says Nasim Tyab, president of Senco Sensors, a company specializing in the carbon monoxide detector niche. "Carbon monoxide is odorless, tasteless and colorless, and is the leading cause of accidental poisoning in the U.S."
According to Tyab, homeowners who think they’re suffering from the flu are sometimes being poisoned by a low-level carbon monoxide leak. Homes with elderly persons, young children or persons with respiratory problems are at a higher risk for gas poisoning.
Carbon monoxide detectors can be wall-mounted or portable, and some companies offer carbon monoxide monitoring services as an option. "It’s a necessity for home safety," says Tyab
Securing Safety Professionals