Gregory Plouff, CEO of remodeling firm Albert D. Thomas Inc. in St. Clair Shores, Mich., lists his five favorite field and office tools:
- Microsoft Excel. "It's a very versatile program. We use it for estimating, budgets, job costing, etc."
- Palm Pilot. "We use these for customer, vendor and subcontractor information. It's easy to share the information with my men, whom I bought Palms for."
- Digital camera. "We use it for documenting jobs and when we look at jobs to produce estimates. It shows subs or employees what we're talking about."
- Internet. "I want my subs to e-mail estimates to me so I can copy and paste their specifications into my estimates. I also like to have invoices by e-mail that are very descriptive. And the Internet is a great research tool."
- Hilti foam dispenser. "It's great for doors and windows."