Although the following tips from the National Burglar and Fire Alarm Association are intended for homeowners, they apply to remodelers looking for security specialists, too.
- Look for a company that’s a member of the NBFAA.
- Ask insurance companies for referrals.
- Contact your local police department’s Crime Prevention Section, state licensing agencies, Consumer Protection Agencies and the Better Business Bureau for information on the companies you’re considering.
- Call several companies, and ask how their employees are trained and certified.
- Ask if they have the appropriate state and local licenses, as required.
- Ask if employees are screened before hiring.
- When security professionals visit, ask to see company identification.
- Check references, and make sure all quotes, inspection requests and demonstration requests are done in writing.