Where to start with trying to address improvement. Here is a high level approach.
- Identify the area for improvement
- Establish your current metrics on that area and map the current process
- Locate the industry or world best practice in that area
- Adapt those best practices for your organization which includes creating a new process and aligning the current and new benchmark metrics
- Develop the infrastructure to implement (flowcharts, procedures, checklists etc)
- Roll out and monitor the process and results i.e. how the new metrics compare to best practice benchmark metrics
- Exceed the best practice process and metrics, you become the holder of the new best practice approach
In terms of the micro detail of how to create improvement below are some approaches that may help you think out of the box and rigorously consider the key areas in which to find improvement opportunities.
List of improvement leverage points:
Six Sigma & Lean improvement approaches: