Last month in this space, I reviewed a series of market projections for 2014 from Harvard University as well as the industry’s leading associations.
Securing Safety Professionals
Tips on finding security system contractors.
Although the following tips from the National Burglar and Fire Alarm Association are intended for homeowners, they apply to remodelers looking for security specialists, too.
- Look for a company that’s a member of the NBFAA.
- Ask insurance companies for referrals.
- Contact your local police department’s Crime Prevention Section, state licensing agencies, Consumer Protection Agencies and the Better Business Bureau for information on the companies you’re considering.
- Call several companies, and ask how their employees are trained and certified.
- Ask if they have the appropriate state and local licenses, as required.
- Ask if employees are screened before hiring.
- When security professionals visit, ask to see company identification.
- Check references, and make sure all quotes, inspection requests and demonstration requests are done in writing.